Good Afternoon Eardley Community,
I have been receiving questions on protocol and follow-up if and when a child presents as sick at school (i.e. only exhibiting one symptom from scenario #2). I will do my best to clarify below and apologize for any confusion:
- If a child presents with one symptom from scenario two, your child will still be isolated and you will be called for pick-up. The protocol following this isolation and pick-up is a 24 hour observation period. This is to ensure that the symptom disappears and that there is no onset of additional symptoms. The parent/guardian will also be instructed to contact Public Health (1-877-644-4545).
- This clarification has been added to our updated Attestation for Return. Please see attached.
- Our team does their absolute best to assess the child when they present themselves. However, this is not an exact science and the school is following the prescribed Public Health guidelines.
- I understand and sympathize with any frustration; however, in the era of Covid-19 the school will not be taking any chances.
- If your child is sent home and it is discovered that they were not truthful when presenting their symptoms to our assessment team, I ask that you have a follow-up conversation about the protocol in place and the importance of being truthful. The school team will echo this importance upon the child’s return.
The school or school board does not have any flexibility or leeway in the above protocols. As always, we will assess the student and the situation at hand; however, our main priority is the safety and security of our staff and students.
I am available to discuss should you have any further questions or concerns.
Thank you and stay safe,